1 imposing in size or bulk or solidity; "massive oak doors"; "Moore's massive sculptures"; "the monolithic proportions of Stalinist architecture"; "a monumental scale" [syn: massive, monumental]
2 characterized by massiveness and rigidity and total uniformity; "a monolithic society"; "a monolithic worldwide movement"
- Rhymes: -ɪθɪk
- monolith noun
A monolith is a monument or natural feature consisting of a single massive stone or rock.
Monolith or monolithic can also refer to:
- Single crystal, a unified crystal, also called monocrystal or monolithic
- "Monolitten" (Bokmål Norwegian for "The Monolith") in Vigeland Sculpture Park in Norway
- Monolith (comics), a comic book series and the name of its titular character
- Monolith, a character from the Elementals comic book series
- "The Monolith", a nickname for any of the massive black blocks in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The one discovered on the Moon was officially named Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1
- Monolithic kernel, a kernel architecture for computer operating systems
- Monolithic system, a computer system architecture where processing, data and the user interface all reside on the same system
- Monolith (computer program), a software tool to distribute copyrighted data without committing copyright infringement.
- Monolith Productions, a computer game company
- Monolith Soft, a Japanese computer game company
- A monolithic die
- Monolith Festival, a Colorado music festival.
- Monolith, a grindcore band (existed from 1997 until 2004) from Vienna/Austria
- Monolyth (band), a heavy metal band from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, started in 2007.
- Monolithic (band), synthpop band
- Monolith, a song by T. Rex from the album Electric Warrior.
- Monolith, a song by Yello
- Monolith, a song by Wolfmother
- Monolith (album), a 1979 album by Kansas
- Monolith (Amebix album), a 1987 album by the punk band Amebix
- Monolith (Death Cube K album), a 2007 set of 5 albums by the Avant-garde metal composer Death Cube K its an anagram of Buckethead
- Monolith, a 15 minute song by The Beta Band, on the compilation The Three EPs
monolithic in German: Monolith (Begriffsklärung)
monolithic in Spanish: Monolítico
monolithic in Slovak: Monolit
accordant, alike, austere, automatic, balanced, bare, basic, characterless, chaste, colossal, consistent, consonant, constant, continuous, correspondent, craggy, crystal, crystalline, elementary, enormous, equable, equal, essential, even, featureless, flat, fundamental, giant, gigantic, gravelly, gritty, homely, homespun, homogeneous, huge, immovable, immutable, impenetrable, imposing, indivisible, inflexible, intractable, invariable, invulnerable, irreducible, lapideous, level, lithoid, lithoidal, massive, measured, mechanical, mere, methodic, monumental, of a piece, ordered, orderly, pebbled, pebbly, persistent, plain, porphyritic, primal, primary, pure, pure and simple, regular, rigid, robotlike, rock-ribbed, rock-strewn, rock-studded, rocklike, rocky, sandy, severe, shingled, shingly, simon-pure, simple, single, smooth, solid, spare, stable, stark, steadfast, steady, stolid, stonelike, stony, systematic, trachytic, unadorned, unbending, unbroken, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, uncluttered, undeviating, undifferenced, undifferentiated, undiversified, uniform, unruffled, unvaried, unvarying